Custom orthotics – Dr. Soroush Khoshroo
Dr. Khoshroo is experienced in making custom orthotics and treating foot and foot-related conditions in North Vancouver. He has extensive training and knowledge in gait analysis, biomechanical assessment, and foot related injuries.
What conditions are treated by custom orthotics?
- Overpronation syndrome
- Pes planus (flat arch/foot)
- Plantar Fasciitis (fasciopathy)
- Achilles Tendonitis (tendinopathy)
- Morton’s Neuromma
- Shin Splints
- Heel Spurs
- IT Band Syndrome
- Runner’s Knee
- Hammer Toes
- Hallux Valgus
- Pes Cavus (high arch)
What is the main mechanism of injury in foot related conditions?
Most conditions for the foot/ankle are categorized as repetitive overuse injuries. These injuries are usually due to a combination of underlying factors that have developed over months or years and, thus, have become chronic conditions. Some of these factors include abnormal gait, imbalanced/poor biomechanics, flat feet, over pronation, muscle weakness, joint restrictions, overuse activities such as long distance running, bad habits, and bad shoes. Most people are not aware of these causes until they are symptomatic. It is very important to find the underlying cause of the symptoms rather than just treating them so that the recurrence of the symptoms can be avoided. It should also be noted that many of the conditions listed above are not in the feet but can be related to the feet. This is because problems in the feet are transferred along the kinetic chain into other joint systems in the body such as the knees, hips, pelvis.
What is the kinetic chain?
- Dr. Khoshroo performs an in depth history and physical examination to assess the root/cause of the injury rather than just treating the symptoms. In his assessments, he first does a static and a dynamic visual analysis of the feet and the gait cycle. He then continues with orthopedic tests to narrow down the condition, followed by checking the integrity of the joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments. Lastly, he checks other joint systems along the kinetic chain to check for other conditions.
- In his treatments, Dr. Khoshroo combines Chiropractic manipulative therapy, Active Release Technique, kinesio taping, Graston soft tissue therapy, cryotherapy, strengthening/stretching exercises to treat these conditions. He also recommends foot rollers, toe spacers and foam rollers, and prescribes custom orthotics depending on the conditions. (See Below)
What is the gait cycle?
What are custom orthotics?
- A custom orthotic is a medical device designed to align the foot and ankle into the most anatomically efficient position. They look like insoles, but are biomechanical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance.
- Custom orthotics work on your feet much like glasses work on your eyes – they reduce stress and strain on your body by bringing your feet back into proper alignment.
- The plastic body of the custom orthotic helps to re-align the foot by redirecting and reducing certain motion that takes place during the gait cycle.
- Custom orthotics fit into your shoes as comfortably as insoles.
- They have the advantage of having been made from precise imprints of your feet.
Why do you need custom orthotics? How do custom orthotics help?
What are the steps taken for making custom orthotics?
- Detailed history and examination
- Palpation and orthopedic tests
- Visual gait analysis
- Digital gait analysis
- Diagnosis and report of findings + other treatment options
- Precise imprints of feet using 3-D neutral casting or foam impression
- Casts, digital scans, findings, and recommendations sent to TOG lab.
- Custom fitting of orthotics
- Modifications and adjustments (if needed)
What do custom orthotics look like & what types are there?
- Super Flex orthotics – Casual orthotics for variety of shoes
- Sport Flex orthotics – Sporty orthotics designed for athletes and variety of sports shoes
- Run Flex orthotics – Designed for high performance runners
- Dress Flex orthotics – Designed primarily for women’s narrow dress shoes
- Cushion Flex orthotics – Designed for superior shock absorption
- Safety Flex orthotics – Designed for steel toe/composite safety boots
- Court Flex orthotics – Designed for basketball and court shoes
- Soccer Flex orthotics – Designed for soccer cleats
- Kids Flex orthotics – Designed primarily for children’s footwear (those under age 6 or less than 60lbs)
- Diabetic Flex orthotics – Designed for diabetic patients with sensitive feet
- Fashion Flex orthotics – Primarily for high heels and dance shoes
- Eagle Flex orthotics – Designed for golf shoes
- Skate Flex orthotics – Designed for skates
- Ski Flex orthotics – Designed for ski boots
Custom orthotics are designed by Dr. Khoshroo to meet patients’ individual/lifestyle needs
When might you need custom orthotics and what symptoms to look for?
- Localized foot pain
- Pain in your heel
- Pain in your arch or ball of foot
- Leg/knee pain
- Pain along your shins
- Numbness and tingling into your toes
- Flat arch / High arch
How much do orthotics costs and how often do you need to replace orthotics?
- $400.00 – 1 pair
- $500.00 – 2 pairs (same digital scan & cast used)
- Price includes biomechanical assessment, gait analysis, digital scan, static and dynamic analysis, casting or 3D custom impression, diagnosis, report of finding, shipping & handling, custom fitting, and modifications.
- Custom orthotics also come with extended warranty.
- It is typically recommended that you redo your orthotics every 2 years due to wear and tear
Are custom orthotics covered by extended health insurance?
YES. Most extended health insurance plans cover custom orthotics between $350-500 every year or every 2 years. Please check with your insurance company regarding your extended health benefits. Dr. Khoshroo provides all the necessary paperwork required by the insurance companies to get full compensation.
Does everyone need custom orthotics?
NO. Custom orthotics are not recommended for everyone. Prescription of custom orthotics is done on an individualized basis and is NOT for every foot condition or every individual. Please consult with Dr. Khoshroo to see if custom orthotics can help you.
Dr. Khoshroo makes custom orthotics in North Vancouver for various foot and foot related conditions.