Chiropractors are extensively trained and are experts in assessing, diagnosing, and treating a wide variety of musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions and their neurological sequalae. These conditions are not just limited to the neck and the back. In fact, they can treat any joint system and the conditions associated with that area. Chiropractors use a multitude of tests and assessment tools to make the proper diagnosis and provide effective treatments for MSK conditions. Some of these include neurological examinations, orthopedic tests, MSK tests, movement screenings, muscle tests, joint assessments, X-Rays and other imaging.
What conditions do chiropractors treat?
Dr. Khoshroo treats the following MSK conditions using a wide variety of therapeutic techniques.
Whiplash injuries from MVA
Head injuries and concussions
Headaches (stress, tension, migraine)
Low back pain
Pelvis and hip pain
Psoas syndrome (snapping hip syndrome)
Carpal tunnel syndrome
IT band syndrome
Rotator cuff injuries
Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder)
Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS)
Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
Medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow)
Shin splints and compartment syndrome
Flat feet/arch (pes planus)
TMJ disorder (TMD)
Groin injuries and sports hernias
Muscle strains, spasms, and tears
Joint sprains and instability
Disc herniations and radicular pain
Vertigo – Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BBPV)
How do chiropractors treat MSK and neurological conditions? What techniques do chiropractors use?
During their extensive training, chiropractors receive comprehensive training in physiology, anatomy, biomechanics, neurology, MSK, orthopedic testing, rehab exercises, electrical and therapeutic modalities, nutrition, human psychology, and X-ray imaging. In addition, chiropractors get trained in different therapeutic techniques. Some of these include:
- Joint mobilization and manipulation such as chiropractic manipulation/adjustment
- Soft tissue therapy such as Active Release Technique and Graston soft tissue Technique for injuries related to muscles, ligaments, tendons, and nerves
- Taping and bracing techniques such as Kinesio and athletic taping
- Rehab exercises and stretches specific to the injury or condition
- Nutritional counselling
- Postural retraining
- Biomechanical assessments such as gait analysis for foot conditions
- Stretching techniques such as proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation (PNF)
- Therapeutic and electric modalities such as heat and cold therapy, interferential current (IFC), ultrasound, laser therapy, muscle stimulation, TENS
- Traction therapy using belts and pulleys
- Therapeutic cupping
In addition, to provide the best care possible, chiropractors work closely and directly with other health care providers such as sport medicine physicians, physiotherapists, massage therapists, physiatrists, athletic therapists, and naturopaths.
Dr. Khoshroo treats MSK conditions using therapeutic techniques in North Vancouver at QubeCore Sports & Rehab.